Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Growing Up In the Garden

Weekly Harvest on the Art Farm
Hello Dear Friends of Moon Bear,

A few things I continue to learn about LIFE from our garden:

- We share this planet (and this plot) with countless other beings. In the garden I am like a god (little g) tending, planting, destroying and harvesting. But in most ways I am just another being, just as dependent on the sun and rains, just playing my particular role.

- Loss happens. Damage happens.  Plants wither unexpectedly and crops fail. Offensive retaliation (like artificial sprays and traps... or violence of any sort) may appear to be the best way to deal with what has hurt us. But this is an illusion. Three measures help with a seemingly sure attack by bugs and fate. One is working with the earth to make the soil rich and loved and vital. The other is to plant and tend as much bounty as possible so the "bad things" cannot overwhelm it. The third is to diversify what you tend.

- Whatever occurs, it's not personal. There is an illusion of ultimate control of weather, deaths, surprise growth, disease and productivity of soil. The earth and sky are going to do what they are going to do. And yet, my actions and attention affect all of these things. My experience and the way I steward my gifts and land seem like the only personal matters.

- I can only take so much from the Earth without letting it rest periodically. This week I did not have enough produce for our market and the CSA. At first I was shocked and embarrassed as I cancelled our table at the Legacy Market. Then I remembered what has transpired this season. The land and I have given all that we can give. So we both rest today, and write to you.

- What we make and nurture is filled with our loving (or non-loving) attention as much as our actions. Just working harder is a dead end when no joy is involved.

- Perhaps my most vital task as a gardener is that of observer and witness. These fruits, grains and veggies are living essences. As such they deserve to be seen for who they are.

- A great adventure can transpire in a hundred foot square patch of dirt. The whole world lives there.

- Everything is a gift from Creator through the Earth.

- Finally, there is a season for everything and a pattern: prepare, sow, tend, harvest, rest, repeat.
Thank you for reading theses musings. I hope the garden that you tend is bringing lessons of beauty and wisdom as you witness it for what it is.

Moon Bear CSA Members: Yes, tomatoes are here. Finally. Many shapes and sizes. And entirely unlike the pasty wannabes in the grocery store. Tomatillos are here too. Sounds like salsa. We have another round of blueberries coming. The corn is only a week away. We'll see most of you at the birthday party on Thursday.

See you in the garden.

Rick

Copyright Rick Sievers, August 2012, All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Rick, for these lovely life lessons! May I quote you and refer other, non-Moon Bears to your blog?

    xoxo,
    Hill

    ReplyDelete