Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Between Sun and Shadow


The power of the Sun is at its zenith.
The Song of the Universe is hovering in the place between shadow and fire.
Her flaming chambered orchestra echoes in my head.
I hear Her in the parched earth.
I know Her voice in the percussion of the sprinkler.
I am Her child, Her lover, Her servant.
~~~
Sing in me, Matron, Virgin, Sister.
Sing in the flashing blue blood of ink.
Sing in the sweat of the labors in the garden.
Sing in the memory of all that is to come.
````
The forecast is for 102 degrees. The garden is bursting past its midlife. Pumpkins have swollen with the color of the sun. The corn waves with rows of silk handkerchiefs. The tree frog slumbers in her shaded forest of rhubarb.

I wish you could be sitting with me, looking out on the bounty. I wish you could witness the earth that has produced nearly eighty bushels of produce so far this year. Ten thousand square feet of compost and root... a microcosm of what the whole earth is for us.

Today, as I take respite from the heat, I contemplate all the blessings that our world so freely gives us. I think of my friends: the sisters I've written with, the brothers I've laughed with, the good people who buy and barter at the market, the beings that inhabit the in between places of dappled shade. Today, I step back and harvest nothing but praise for the garden. I try to see the plants in the garden as family and equals, not just as commodity or food.

May the sun offer you a respite from the hard work of living and evolving. 
May you know your place in the world and feel happy in that knowing.

Moon Bear CSA: Tomatoes are just coming on. All shades of the rainbow are plumping up in the vines. Also, many types of squash and sugar pumpkins are on their way to your home. The boxes will be a little smaller as we crest past the first wave of peak production in the garden. This will give the garden a little breather and allow many of us to catch up with eating the big bounty from last week. Thanks.

See you in the Garden,
Rick

Copyright Rick Sievers, August 2012, ALL Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment