Thursday, September 5, 2013

Beautiful Slugs


This Week We Have: Giant sea kale, curly kale, chard, trio beans, concord grapes, lemon and Armenian cucumbers, a few tomatoes, russet potatoes and fresh cut flowers.
Next Week: In addition to the above we'll have winter squash (10 varieties), beets again (yay), possibly rainbow carrots and tomatoes.

See you at Salmon Creek Farmer's Market

~~~

The rain has resurrected the slugs. My primary technique for protecting the garden from the slugs is going around the plants and hand harvesting them. I kill them with a simple set of shears. It's a little gruesome, yes. But it is more merciful and honest than poison or traps. I wrote about it this morning in my journal:

Slugs

I move, stealthy,
into the cool wet garden.
Old shears jawing 
the death song 
in my right hand.
The casual warmth
of coffee in my left.

"This is your last moment on Earth.
Thank you for your beauty."
I tell each one
as they crawl 
toward an unrequited delight.

Then I fall from their sky.
Then I cut their life force free.
Then I become an angel 
of life and death.
I become akin to the One who hovers
over me with Her shining
sharp songs, 
stealthy in Her blade.

I hear my fate in the morning clouds too.
I hear the angel's shining sword singing.
I hear that I am just another part of the garden,
beautiful too, mortal too.

"These are your sacred 
moments on Earth."
I hear the angel whisper.
"Soon you will awaken.
Soon you will open up.
Soon you will be free."

 ~~~

Blessings to you from our garden.
May you realize the beauty and love that is far beyond the ruthless mortality this world.

Rick

Copyright (c)  Rick Sievers, September 2013, All Rights Reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment